C
B
O
X
home profile site friends follow

greetings
Ciao kiddos, and welcome to The Random Thoughts of A Socially-Awkward Optimist! Please, do scroll around and enjoy your stay. And while you're here, perhaps we could enjoy some virtual drinks together?

Quote of The Moment
"It's okay, we can work with this!"
- Deckard Wizard (Bee and Puppycat)

Calendar

12月〜2018年
sun mon tue wed thu fri sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 26 27 28 29
30

time machine
  • August 2013
  • September 2013
  • October 2013
  • November 2013
  • December 2013
  • January 2014
  • February 2014
  • March 2014
  • April 2014
  • May 2014
  • June 2014
  • August 2014
  • September 2014
  • October 2014
  • December 2014
  • January 2015
  • March 2015
  • April 2015
  • August 2015
  • September 2015
  • October 2015
  • November 2015
  • January 2016
  • May 2016
  • June 2016
  • November 2016
  • August 2017
  • October 2017
  • November 2017
  • December 2017
  • January 2018
  • March 2018

  • Do check out...


    merci beaucoup
    Template was made by Miichiko. Thanks to Pixel-diary for the cute pixels and icons.


    Oceanarium: A Rambling Narration of Self-Rediscovery
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 | 3 comments
    Hello everyone! Wow, I don't think I've ever posted on my blog this frequently before lol. Lately, I've been getting back into my ~blogging zone~ and am really excited to bring some life back into this space ❤

    I've recently landed upon Spaceships, Vampires, and Very Secret Agents, a blog run by Andrea, and she's hosting a monthly writing challenge which I found rather interesting. It seems like a great way to wake up dormant creative juices and channel my energy into something productive, and thus I have decided to give it a shot and participate! I'm glad I was able to (somehow) finish before the extended deadline lol. Here is a link to the original post for those who want to check it out :) I urge you to try it sometime, I had a lot of fun writing this story and perhaps you guys may find it entertaining as well 😄

    The current theme is "school", so I tried to think outside the box lol. Without further ado, I present to you, dear reader, my botched attempt at a short story.

    I cannot believe what just happened.

    Today is Saturday, and I am supposed to go on a date. My phone says it's now 6 pm, which is definitely beyond the 4 pm meeting time we agreed upon. The afternoon sun has set. Street lamps start flickering on across the street. I can feel the stares of the people on me, and I can almost hear what they're thinking— she's been standing there for two hours now, she's probably got lots of time on her hands to be loitering on the streets instead of contributing to society, or even worse, poor kid, she's got no friends. We were supposed to go to the oceanarium together. Why, I'm even wearing my nicer pair of jeans for today's occasion. But no, how does this even happen? I have been stood up.

    Nevertheless, I am determined not to squander the rest of my evening and return home to lounge in sweatpants. I've sworn that insipid life off after I moved out from my parents to pursue university. I enter the oceanarium— headstrong, walking tall. The spitting image of an independent woman. I purchase an entrance ticket for one from the counter, and no I was not stood up, thank you

    I shuffled past the turnstiles, and started to make my way to the underwater tunnels. Once I stepped inside, I couldn't help but hold my breathe from sheer wonder. What a sight it was to behold— a softly curving tunnel of glass through which I could see, for lack of better word, everything. Schools of fish swimming across the waters above my head. Jellyfish whose stingers flow like a mermaid's hair. Majestically hued parrot fish, in all their rainbow glory. A family of seahorses, with the baby seahorse dancing around its parents.

    The floor reflected dancing light from the moving waters. The tunnel itself was slightly chilly and dimly lit, the only other thing illuminating the area coming from sparkling rope lights lining the edges of the deep blue floor. The crowed has mostly thinned out now, and only a handful of families and couples litter the tunnel. What usually was a place filled with screaming children and conversation was now a quiet observatory where I could wallow in peace and marine life.

    I start to make my way through the winding path, now and then taking time to stop and admire the marine life thriving over my head. A school of herring darted past me. I couldn't help but let out a sigh. At least the herring belonged somewhere.

    "Look over there, it's a lot of fish!" A young boy tugs on his mother's arm and points at the herrings I saw. "I learned yesterday that fish swim in schools to find food!"

    I continued to listen as the young boy goes on explaining what science class has taught him. I decided not to correct him that he defined shoaling, a different behavior displayed by fish because who am I to spoil his joy? I need not victimize people due to my misery.

    University life sucks. Even if everyone is there to pursue a passion, discrimination still exists within the ranks of students. I'd like to see moving into the big city and getting an education as something to be proud of, but my social life has been abysmal. I'm not smart enough for the smart kids. I'm not cool enough for the cool kids. I'm not ordinary enough to blend with the crowd. I stick out like a sore thumb.

    I'm just a regular marine biology student in a big university. I love studying water animals. And apparently, that makes me unapproachable.  A lone surgeonfish stares at me. "You'll find your school too someday," I can imagine it say. I smiled, giving the glass a light tap.

    "Do you think I'll find a group I'd belong to like the herrings?" I ask.

    The surgeonfish's stare bores into my soul, its little fins moving slightly from the current.

    I sigh. "I just want to belong, sir surgeonfish. Don't you want to as well?"

    Dang, I must be going crazy— talking to a creature that looks like it came from Finding Nemo. I stare at it for a while longer. I wonder if its aquatic mind can understand my sentiments. I did my best impression of an elderly hermit fish character. "It's our nature to swim in groups. I'll be fine. We all belong somewhere."

    I resume speaking with my normal voice. "You're right. I am the master of my domain, for fate is unknowable. Eventually, we will both find a school to belong to. Thank you, wise elder."

    As if on cue, the little shard of blue and yellow swims away. I can't help but feel a sense of comfort wash over me. If nobody wants to be my friend now, maybe someday somebody will; a fish out of water like myself can find her school— a group to belong to.

    With a newfound sense of hope and strength, I began to walk towards the tunnel's exit and left the oceanarium, where I was greeted by a sea of people and an ocean of possibilities.

    Labels:


    FUTURE
    PAST